Tuesday, February 3, 2009

NTDWL: Super Bowl Commercial Peeve & Bonnaroo 09

I know, I know, this has nothing to do with Louisville. But my other two time-wasting hobbies are the general consumption of pop culture and reading Louisville, pop culture, feminist, and liberal blogs. So, of course I tuned in to much of the Superbowl, only to watch the commercials and BRUUUUUUCE! (Who by the way is headlining Bonnaroo 2009, more on that in a sec.) And, of course, like a good feminist, I was fracking disgusted by ads that showed dudes biting into chips and chick's clothes flying off. (I won't even touch the Danica Patrick ads-- what a waste of a potentially awesome role model for the young girls in NASCAR families.) And of course, I read all the blogs decrying said ads.

But I haven't seen one blog or article discuss the ticked me off the most-- because it was the most "innocent." WTF was up with the Bridgestone Mr. Potato Head ad?? You know, the one where Mr. Potato Head drives and Mrs. Potato Head nags and bitches and yap, yap, yaps until.... they hit a pothole and her mouth pops off! And suddenly all is right in the world.

Ugh. It still makes my blood boil...

... But on Superbowl night, said boiling blood was soooooothed by the sweet sweet sounds of Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, who, as I said, will be headlining Bonnaroo 09. Artists announced today include Nine Inch Nails, Wilco, David Byrne, Al Green (!!!), Elvis Costello, Allen Toussaint (and we can only hope a performance by Elvis AND Allen who recorded and toured together after Katrina), and many, many, many bands to make the indie crowd go all gooey including the Decemberists, Animal Collective, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Ting Tings, and Bon Iver. (I give 'em all a [animal] collective shrug... Bonnaroo's as good a time as any to give them all a little check-out). Anyway... Lucinda Williams, Neko Case, Jenny Lewis, Erykah Badu... some serious chick power at this 'Roo.

Mama is so there. Maybe this time, she'll remember it.

2 comments:

Charley said...

I have to admit that one was the most craptastic of them all...and I'm not just saying that. I don't think my wife has seen it yet, but i know this: she won't laugh. It's time to drop the trite nudge-nudgers around this stuff and own up to the collective knowledge that men are still mostly worse listeners than women are conversationalists, and the mars/venus thing is not the answer the issue deserves. Okay, off my soapbox now. And just for the record: Kurt Cobain would have hated it too.

Marci said...

I've been through your archives and want to say thanks for the review of Bonaroo -- I've been tempted to go (for the music and not necessarily the jam bands) but your review sealed the deal for me. I'll let my friends go and revel in the CDs they'll burn for me when they get back.