Thursday, August 11, 2011

Rumor Report: Big Blue Country

Because I'm not from here, I've never had a big ol' dog in the UofL/UK sports rivalry race.  I will say that I was a UofL men's basketball and Rick Pitino fan before I even moved here (and was a big Pitino fan until that happened).  And since I moved here, I've become an even bigger fan of the women's basketball team too.

And, I have to admit, I've still not forgiven UK for firing Tubby.  I love Tubby.  Who doesn't love Tubby?

So yes, I root for U of L. But it ain't in my blood.

But I did think that in a city semi-divided that Big Blue Country, the UK-themed sports bar on Baxter, was taking a huge risk by allying itself with a team that many in town see as "the enemy."

And the few times I've been there, it's been packed for the duration of whatever UK game was on television, but then emptied out as soon as the game was over.  It's a nice set-up they have there: big tvs, cheapish beer, decent food.  But I get the sense that they could be doing better.

My minions tell me that Big Blue Country is considering a name-change.  One that will soften their profile as a UK bar and make it more of a general sports bar.  I'm all for it.  We are super-light on sports bars in the Highlands.  It's such a damned shame that when I want to watch sports, I still default to Buffalo Wild Wings.  I don't like to spend my money at chains if I don't have to.

Wishing Big Blue Country luck and hoping the rumors are true.

2 comments:

th said...

I visited there last year and predicted this. The owner is letting his heart get in the way of good business sense. If you want to run a profitable business, you need to avoid alienating 50% of your potential customers by making it strictly a UK theme. He either needs to include UL, or just dump the UK theme entirely.

amartindesign said...

Stumbled across your blog. Lexingtonian here that also loves Louisville and everything about Kentucky. Just wanted to clarify as a UK fan, Tubby wasn't fired. He left on his own :)